Mealtime. For some parents – it is a battle. They’ve tried every trick in the book to get their child to try new foods. Parents often think of mealtime as a win-lose situation, use foods as rewards and punishment, and think they have to trick their children into eating healthy.
Parenting Expo Pittsburgh speaker and author Elizabeth Pagel-Hogan says it doesn’t have to be that hard. By working together, parents and children can have calmer, happier, healthier meals. Elizabeth says:
- Be a role model. Try new foods in front of your child. Talk about your reactions.
- Let your child select some new healthy foods for the family to try and prepare them together.
- Be clear and consistent with your expectations, like a “Just One Bite” rule.
- Understand that dessert should never be a reward for trying or withheld as a punishment for not trying new foods.
Elizabeth is the author of three books, including two children’s books. Her books help kids tackle the tough parts of being a kid, like grumpy emotions and trying new foods. She writes for parenting magazines and classroom magazines. Elizabeth also provides communication and creative strategy for non-profits and businesses in Pittsburgh.
To learn more parenting tips from Elizabeth and other leading parenting experts, visit Parenting Expo Pittsburgh http://www.parentingexpo.com/pittsburgh/ March 8 -9 at the Monroeville Convention Center. Parenting Expo is the one event that is all about parenting. A two-day family-friendly event, parents, grandparents, caregivers and educators will have an opportunity to receive up-to-date information on what’s important to them right now – from prenatal care to raising teens. In addition, attendees will walk away with meaningful coupons, giveaways, goody bags full of products from exhibitors, and opportunities to win prizes throughout the expo. In addition to Pittsburgh, Parenting Expo is slated for 4 additional cities in 2014:
- Cleveland: April 26 – 27, 2014 International Exposition (IX) Center
- Columbus: August 16 – 17, 2014 The Greater Columbus Convention Center
- Cincinnati: September 20 – 21, 2014 The Duke Energy Convention Center
- Indianapolis: October 25 – 26, 2014 Indiana Convention Center