Tweet it: Did your favorite Las Vegas performer make the list? @VEGAScom rounds up the top 10 past & present Vegas residencies http://pitch.pe/156eezN
Commonly referred to as the “Entertainment Capital of the World,” the city of Las Vegas has crossed paths with a handful of the most recognizable and iconic musicians through a number of residencies on and off the Las Vegas Strip. With the latest addition to the lineup as Britney Spears confirms her limited engagement at Planet Hollywood, the experts at VEGAS.com have compiled the top 10 residency shows to grace the theaters and showrooms of Sin City over the years. From the King of Rock n’ Roll to Mr. Las Vegas, entertainment has never been short of extraordinary in Las Vegas.
- Holding down a seven-year residency and performing more than 58 sold-out shows, Elvis Presley has become synonymous with Las Vegas culture since he began performing at the Las Vegas International Hotel, now the LVH – Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, in July of 1969. His spirit is still alive and well on the Las Vegas Strip with Elvis impersonators and tribute artists paying homage to the ‘King of Rock n’ Roll’ year-round.
- Award-winning musicians, Ike and Tina Turner, serenaded audiences with their bluesy R&B show at the Las Vegas International Hotel in 1968 with a mix of hits from their solo careers. The Ike and Tina Turner Revue was considered one of the hottest R&B ensembles of their time.
- By 1994, Wayne Newton had performed 25,000 solo shows and in 1999 signed a 10-year deal with Stardust. Nicknamed “Mr. Las Vegas,” his last performance before the demolition of the Stardust ran almost four hours and included his entire repertoire and a number of songs from Vegas mainstays.
- In the first of two Las Vegas residencies, Celine Dion took over the Colosseum at Caesar’s Palace with her 2003 A New Day… show which gave audiences a fusion of theatrics, performing arts and the artist’s remarkable vocal talent. She returned to Las Vegas in 2011 for the production, Celine, and became the most profitable music act since Elvis Presley.
- Before the epic boom of electronic dance music in Las Vegas, Paul Oakenfold was the pioneer of DJ residencies with his Perfecto show at Rain Nightclub inside the Palms Casino Resort.Taking to the decks in 2008, Oakenfold captured club-goers with his signature trance-style and over-the-top production featuring Cirque du Soleil-style performers.
- Performing on the stage at the Flamingo since 2008, Donny and Marie Osmond have become one of Vegas’ premier variety acts. Performing timeless hits such as “Paper Roses” and “Make the World Go Away,” the duo was awarded ‘Best Show’ and ‘Best All-Around Performer’ in 2012 by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
- More than 300,000 people headed to the Encore Theater at Wynn Las Vegas to take part in Garth Brooks’ memorable three-year residency. Catering to the ultimate country music fan, it featured a simple stage setup inside the intimate theater with Garth performing hits from his successful career as well as other fan favorites from the genre.
- Boyz II Men, one of the most successful R&B groups in recent music history, is taking over the Mirage for a one-of-a-kind engagement for fans of all generations. The award-winning group seduces the audience with crooning vocals of their hits “End of the Road,” “I’ll Make Love to You,” and “One Sweet Day,” among many others.
- Back by popular demand, masters of mayhem Mötley Crüe return to The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino for a 12-show stint now through October 2013. The Grammy-nominated heavy metal band will take their stage antics to the extreme with an all-new production designed exclusively for their limited engagement at the concert venue.
- The Princess of Pop, Britney Spears, is getting ready to take the Las Vegas Strip by storm in her upcoming two-year residency at Planet Hollywood. Known for putting on high-energy and theatrical performances, the new Britney show will be a crowd-pleasing, sing-along Vegas experience for fans. The show is slated to start December 27, 2013.
VEGAS.com is the largest city destination travel website in the world with extensive, constantly updated information and a full range of travel products including Las Vegas hotels, Las Vegas Air & Hotel Packages, Las Vegas shows, tours and golf. A state-of-the-art contact center provides customer support, expert information and sales 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year to complement the information on www.VEGAS.com. VEGAS.com, through its Casino Travel & Tours unit, operates retail and concierge desks at more than 50 locations including the Palms, Paris, Harrah's, Bally's, Excalibur, New York-New York, Luxor and more. The company also offers a variety of excursions including city tours, the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon. VEGAS.com is a member of the Greenspun Family of Companies, privately owned and operating in Southern Nevada for more than 60 years.
# # #
Shandi Huber / Ashley Trevizo
Kirvin Doak Communications